Sunday, 29 July 2012

English Summer



Arrived in England early on 10th July and set off by coach from Heathrow to Norwich - it was a bit too much for the constitution to do swaying coach (on smooth roads!) after eight hours in the aeroplane; I arrived feeling distinctly travel sick and spaced out. Having expected to slot instantly back into life in England, surprisingly it took a few days to get used to it, partly because of being so tired I expect. Every time I open my suitcase I smell Kenya. I thought it was just the clothes, full of the smell of the ubiquitous wood smoke, but even my laptop and camera smelt of Kenya; how can that be? It has been very good to be staying with Lyn (trying not to be too nosey about my own house over the road), going for familiar walks, on shopping sprees and meeting with friends. I've also had a great time at Helen and Alick's (visiting H's allotment, Barnsdale Gardens and bike riding) and at Southwold with Mum (walks on pier, along the seafront and to the harbour; a ride to Walberswick). Now feeling completely acclimatised, but looking at things in a different way. How interesting the buildings look, how well-maintained the streets and pavements, how varied the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment