Thursday, 8 September 2011

So much rain

I'm quite surprised that there is so much rain, but then so is everyone else - people who have lived here longer, or always, say it's rather more than normal. On prep duty this evening, with the rain thundering down on the corrugated roof, I was thinking it wasn't quite how I'd pictured things! However, on the whole, going pretty well. The children are pleasant to be with, they are keen to do well and although very high spirited at times, they do as they are told quite quickly. Yesterday evening was my first boarding house duty, which was two hours of minding the junior boys - Year 1-6, who come back to the boarding house in three shifts, having 4 different bedtimes... quite complicated. I used to think I had my work cut out getting two boys to bed!
The teaching's going well, though I was glad of a half day on Tuesday to get some planning done - it really is all go in term time as promised! My lessons are being covered for me next Wednesday as I have to go to Nairobi (a whole day's round trip) to pick up my work permit, which has just been issued. I'm lucky apparently - it can take much longer. It means I can get into the national parks for a tiny fraction of what tourists pay. Might get to see some giraffes and zebra soon!


Have taken a few more pictures around school: The prep school has three enormous playing fields; the tree with red flowers is a poinsettia - not quite like the weedy pot plants that die just after Christmas in England; the grand looking building is the Senior Girls' (Y7 & 8) boarding house; and the one with the Turi banner on is Senior Boys'.

No comments:

Post a Comment