Tuesday, 6 December 2011

End of term approaching!


It has been a very busy few weeks since the last posting. End of terms everywhere get hectic and here it is no exception. The report process (and what a process!) has finally come to an end and we can catch up on neglected marking. There was a lovely candlelit carol service in the chapel on Sunday evening - it may seem early, but we break up on Friday. It was followed by supper for staff and visitors in the dining room, which had been decked out with candles, flowers and suspended angels the children had decorated. The pathway to the chapel was lit with paper lanterns made out of brown paper bags with candles inside - very effective and pretty. It was fun to sing in the staff choir item - there are many excellent musicians here and lots of lovely sounds get produced.

I have convinced my gardener, in line with the school's environmental policy, not to split precious wood into kindling, but to gather dead branches from the forest floor to make into bundles of kindling for my fire. However, I discovered a potential hazard for the wildlife - I was about to put a match to the fire when I spotted this tiny little chamaeleon at the side of the fireplace, and rescued it just in time!
Now Wednesday; played in the staff v Under 13s rounders match today which was great fun.  Sunshine all day today. This could be it! The rainy season could be finally over!

Laurence arrives on Saturday! So exciting. I am travelling to Nairobi airport as an escort for the departing children going home by 'plane and combining it with picking up Laurence who arrives conveniently that morning. A 5.30 am start to an exciting day. The larder is fairly well stocked, but can I remember how to cook? Soon find out.

1 comment: