Sunday, 1 April 2012

Easter Holiday

I had heard way back at the beginning of my time here, that the twelve week Christmas term is always the most arduous; but I found that during the last two weeks of the Easter term, I was every bit as exhausted as in that first term! One aspect of the life that is so taxing is never getting away from school life; morning, afternoon and evening.
Towards the end of this term we had Dinky Safari, a tradition which started 47 years ago, when the East African Safari Rally used to go past the gate of Turi School. The pupils were taken outside to watch and then took their own mini safari cars made out of plywood on safari through the school grounds. The safari rally has long since taken a different route, but every year pairs of children decorate one of the safari cars and take it on the route through the woods and the back gardens of staff houses, through mudbaths and other obstacles in an attempt to get the optimum time and least damage to the car.
The following day we had the Sport Relief Mile, to raise money for both sport relief and the local charity. Staff and pupils were encouraged to do the mile in interesting ways, so we had people skipping it, or dressed up, three-legged and so on.
Start of DinkySafari


Preparing for the Sport Relief Mile...

...some went to more trouble than others!
Now peace and quiet reigns once more. What a different place it is here during the holidays! Tomorrow I'm off on a trip to Nanyuki and Sweetwaters. I'm told it's a very beautiful area. Very much looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment